Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
The Newton remains in the news, with Apple putting the automatic update process in place so you can call an 800 number to upgrade the OS to 1.04. I take a brief spin through many of the Internet Newton resources and review PBTools, a truly elegant PowerBook utility. Finally, readers chime in with their concerns about Apple's seemingly self-destructive marketing techniques - is there a conspiracy involved? Where's Oliver Stone when you need him?
For those who have been confused when calling the direct order line for Hayden to order The Internet Starter Kit for Macintosh and having Prentice-Hall Computer Publishing answer, my apologies, but don't worryShow full article
Truth is stranger than fiction. I didn't do a careful count, but last week's article on the October crop of Macs elicited as many irate comments as did my editorial on the subject several weeks beforeShow full article
Andy Stadler of Apple passed on a note that the Newton software update service is now online and accepting calls. There are two numbers, an 800 number for U.SShow full article
For all of the quibbling and carping in the mass media about the Newton, interest has been enormous (Apple reported 50,000 units sold so far), certainly larger than for any Mac since the first PowerBooks, and in many ways even largerShow full article
Billy Steinberg dislikes frills. This becomes most evident in PBTools, his package of PowerBook utilities marketed by Inline Design and supported by MicroseedsShow full article