Set Your Default Printer
If you print mostly to a single printer, make sure it's selected in the Print & Fax preference pane's Default Printer pop-up menu.
Other articles in the series Backed Up Today?
- Backing up with the FireVue (04 Aug 03)
- Retrospect 5.1 Improves Disaster Recovery (14 Jul 03)
- Configuring a Utility Hard Disk (24 Mar 03)
- Retrospect 5.0 Enables Mac OS X Backups (01 Apr 02)
- What About Backing Up to FireWire Hard Disks? (02 Apr 01)
- Ecrix's VXA-1 Tape Drive: Big Fast Backups (26 Feb 01)
- Internet Backup Strategies (14 Dec 98)
- Internet Backup via BackJack (15 Jun 98)
- Have You Backed Up Today? Part 3 (15 Jun 98)
- Have You Backed Up Today? Part 2 (08 Jun 98)
- Have You Backed Up Today? Part 1 (01 Jun 98)
Been hankering to defragment your HFS Plus formatted disks? Alsoft's PlusOptimizer and the public beta of Norton Speed Disk 4.0 should help. Also this week, Jeff Carlson reports on the woes of Macintosh early adopters of Palm's 2 MB PalmPilot upgrade card, and Adam finishes off his comprehensive backup series with answers to some sticky questions. In news, UserLand announces pricey subscriptions for Frontier 5.1 and Connectix releases Surf Express 1.1.5.
The Final Free Frontier -- In brief letters to registered Frontier users last week, UserLand Software announced a charter pricing structure for Frontier 5.1, the soon-to-be-released version of their cross-platform scripting and Web content toolShow full article
Surf Express Updated for Speed -- Connectix has released a free update to Surf Express, the company's Web acceleration software that improves performance via a more intelligent caching scheme than that used by most browsersShow full article
Apple's introduction of Mac OS Extended Format, the new disk format better known as HFS Plus, has engendered no small amount of consternation in the Macintosh community because it's incompatible with many previous disk utilities - see "All About Macintosh Extended Format (HFS Plus)" in TidBITS-414Show full article
Macintosh users who have upgraded their PalmPilot organizers using the new Palm 2 MB Upgrade card are discovering a potentially serious problem when synchronizing their dataShow full article
TidBITS readers have both offered useful additional information and raised a number of interesting questions concerning the issues that swirl around backup strategies, as discussed in the previous three parts of this series. My Backup Strategy -- A number of people asked me to explain the specifics behind my backup strategy, hoping that they could apply my rationale to their situationShow full article