Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Our examination of how moderately normal people can use MacsBug continues this week and includes valuable information on how to create logs for developers when you're beta testing a program. Also in this issue, Adam looks at the apparent demise of Claris Emailer, and we note important software releases including QuarkXPress 4.04, Eudora Pro 4.0.2, AutoShare 3.0, and FileMaker Pro 4.0v2, and the "almost here" StuffIt Deluxe 5.0.
QuarkXPress 4.04 Update Addresses Numerous Bugs -- Quark has released an update to QuarkXPress 4.0 that fixes several bugs related to saving and printing, Find/Change operations, Bezier lines with arrowheads, and other miscellaneous problemsShow full article
Eudora Pro 4.0.2 Now Available -- Although Eudora Pro 4.1 remains in public beta, Qualcomm has finally released Eudora Pro 4.0.2, which fixes a number of minor bugs and nagging annoyancesShow full article
AutoShare 3.0 Released -- Mikael Hansen has released version 3.0 of AutoShare, his freeware mailing list manager and auto-responder that works with Eudora Internet Mail Server and Stalker Internet Mail ServerShow full article
StuffIt Deluxe 5.0 Announced -- Aladdin Systems has announced StuffIt Deluxe 5.0, a major release of their popular compression program. StuffIt Deluxe 5.0's main new feature is a new compression format that's 20 percent smaller and provides compatibility with WindowsShow full article
FileMaker Pro 4.0v2 Updater Available -- FileMaker, Inc. has released a free FileMaker Pro 4.0v2 updater, which brings the changes and bug fixes found in FileMaker Pro 4.1 to FileMaker Pro 4.0 users without 4.1's new ODBC features (see "FileMaker Pro 4.1 Does ODBC for a Price" in TidBITS-447)Show full article
Was anyone surprised when Emailer languished after being brought back into Apple in the Claris-to-FileMaker, Inc. transformation? Perhaps Emailer users were, since there's little that inspires blind loyalty like a good program you use all day, every dayShow full article
The first part of this article in TidBITS-449 looked at MacsBug, Apple's free low-level debugger, explained how to install and invoke it, and how to use MacsBug to recover from application crashesShow full article