- LaunchBar 6.3
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2, Compressor 4.2, Motion 5.2
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Supplemental Update 1.0
- DEVONagent Lite, Express, and Pro 3.9.1
- FileMaker Pro 13.0.9
- iTunes 12.1.2
- GraphicConverter 9.6.1
- 1Password 5.3
- Security Update 2015-004 (Mountain Lion, Mavericks)
- Safari 8.0.5, 7.1.5, and 6.2.5
Make PDFpen Your Default PDF Viewer
Want to open all your PDFs with PDFpen, rather than Preview or Adobe Reader? Follow these steps:
- Locate a PDF document in the Finder.
- Control-click the document.
- From the menu, choose Get Info.
- Scroll down the Get Info window to the Open with... pop-up menu.
- Choose PDFpen.
- Click Change All...
Other articles in the series Tools We Use
- Tools We Use: Backdrop (01 May 06)
- Tools We Use: DropCopy (30 Jan 06)
- Tools We Use: PinPoint and Mouseposé (07 Feb 05)
- Tools We Use: Random Noises With SonicMood (10 Jan 05)
- Tools We Use: LaunchBar (17 Mar 03)
- Tools We Use: SpamSieve (17 Feb 03)
- Tools We Use: URL Manager Pro (24 Jun 02)
- Tools We Use: DiskSurveyor (10 Sep 01)
- Tools We Use: TypeTamer Returns (13 Nov 00)
- Tools We Use: VSE Link Tester (03 Jul 00)
- Tools We Use: iDo Script Scheduler (17 Apr 00)
- Tools We Use: Menuette (06 Sep 99)
- Tools We Use: Synchronize (24 May 99)
- Tools We Use: Default Folder (05 Apr 99)
- Tools We Use: MacTicker (15 Mar 99)
- Tools We Use: GURU (30 Nov 98)
If you haven't investigated Mac OS 8.5's Sherlock, you'll find Kevin Savetz's introduction to searching the Internet a good start. Also this week, Adam traces the rise and fall of eMediaweekly and offers an installment of Tools We Use. The news abounds with updates, including Norton Utilities, PowerBook G3 modem software, Virtual PC, StuffIt Expander, and KeyQuencer, plus bits about Connectix's battle with Sony and Extensis's rescue of Suitcase from Symantec.
Norton Utilities for Macintosh Updated to 4.0.3 -- Symantec has released a free 4.0.3 updater for Norton Utilities for Macintosh. Changes in 4.0.3 include only the use of Mac OS 8.5.1 on the bootable CD-ROM for new purchasers and a minor fix for UnEraseShow full article
Extensis Rescuing Suitcase -- Extensis Corporation has announced an exclusive agreement with Symantec to take over development, distribution, and marketing of Suitcase, the venerable font management tool for the MacShow full article
PowerBook Patch Prevents Power Pops -- Apple has released the PowerBook G3 Series Modem Extension 1.0.2, which fixes a handful of annoyances related to turning the PowerBook G3's built-in 56K modem on or offShow full article
Virtual PC 2.1.2 Adds USB Support -- Connectix has released a minor update to Virtual PC that should be welcome for owners of iMacs and the new Power Macintosh G3 machines who run Windows in emulationShow full article
Aladdin Ships Faster StuffIt Expander 5.1 -- Faced with competition from MindVision's new MindExpander, a preview release of which can expand a number of formats, including MacBinary, BinHex, and StuffIt 4.x, Aladdin Systems has responded by updating StuffIt Expander to version 5.1Show full article
Connectix Wins First Round of Sony Lawsuit -- The San Francisco Federal District Court last week rejected Sony's request for a temporary restraining order on shipments of Connectix's Virtual Game Station, a PlayStation emulator for Apple's G3 MacsShow full article
KeyQuencer 2.5.5 Offers Mac OS 8.5 Compatibility -- Binary Software has released an update to KeyQuencer 2.5, the company's solid macro utility. (For a review of KeyQuencer 2.0 and more information about macro programs in general, see "KeyQuencer - QuicKeys Quencher?" in TidBITS-351, "The User Over Your Shoulder - Of Macs and Macros" in TidBITS-357, and "KeyQuencer Upgraded to 2.5" in TidBITS-415.) KeyQuencer 2.5.5 makes the product fully compatible with Mac OS 8.5 and 8.5.1, plus fixes bugs with LaserWriter 8.5.1 and non-Roman keyboardsShow full article
Late last week, Mac Publishing, the parent company of Macworld, MacWEEK.com, and eMediaweekly, announced that it has ceased publication of eMediaweeklyShow full article
In TidBITS-457, we introduced a sporadic feature called Tools We Use, each instance of which focuses on a single, clever program that makes our Macs easier to useShow full article
If your Mac isn't yet running Mac OS 8.5, you may decide Sherlock is reason enough to upgrade. While the earlier Find File utility looked only for files on your hard disk, Apple's new built-in sleuth adds Web searching to its repertoire of skillsShow full article