Copy Existing Filename to 'Save As' Field
While many utilities provide file naming automation, they're mostly overkill for those cases when you need to make small variations in file content while ensuring the documents group together in a "by name" list.
In the Save As dialog, the default name is the current document name. You can quickly change this to match any existing file.
1. Make the list of files the active element.
2. Click on a grayed-out filename, which momentarily turns black.
3. The Save As field now contains the filename you just clicked.
You can modify the name (adding, say, "version 3") or overwrite that existing file you clicked.
Other articles in the series Reading the Palm
- Palm m505: A Slightly Dim Bulb (24 Sep 01)
- Palm Releases Palm m125 Organizer (24 Sep 01)
- New Palm Handhelds Released (22 Feb 99)
- Palm Shows More in Hand at Expo (18 Jan 99)
- Mac Palm Desktop Beta Arrives with Palm VII News (07 Dec 98)
- PalmPilot Upgrade Card Problematic for Mac Users (22 Jun 98)
- Palm Organizer for Macintosh: Details Emerge (01 Jun 98)
- PalmPilot, Part 3: The Best Gadgets Are... Toys? (09 Feb 98)
- PalmPilot, Part 2: Power in Your Pocket (19 Jan 98)
- PalmPilot, Part 1: Hopelessly Devoted (05 Jan 98)
Claris Organizer returns! If you were a fan of Claris's personal information manager, you'll be pleased to hear it has been reincarnated as the Macintosh Palm Desktop, and it's free whether or not you use a Palm device. Also this week, Louise Bremner passes on the sights, sounds, and tastes of Macworld Expo Tokyo. In the news, Adobe reveals Adobe GoLive 4.0, a new Web browser called iCab emerges, and Default Folder 3.0.1 and Aladdin DropStuff 5.1 appear.
Adobe Goes Live with GoLive -- Adobe GoLive 4.0 for Macintosh - the eponymously renamed CyberStudio visual Web page editor and site management tool - ships this week; an announcement is expected Tuesday morning at Seybold Seminars in BostonShow full article
Hail an iCab -- We generally don't comment on preview releases of software in TidBITS, but we'll make an exception for iCab, a new Web browser from a German programming team led by Alexander Clauss and derived from a project for Atari systemsShow full article
Default Folder 3.0.1 Complements Nav Services -- St. Clair Software's utility for enhancing Open and Save dialog boxes, Default Folder 3.0.1, adds support for Apple's Navigation Services as well as a handful of other improvementsShow full article
Aladdin Releases DropStuff 5.1 -- Aladdin Systems last week released version 5.1 of their $30 shareware DropStuff utility for creating StuffIt 5.0 format archives, which can be expanded only by StuffIt Deluxe 5.0, StuffIt Expander 5.1, or by themselves if saved as self-extracting archivesShow full article
Like last year, this year's Macworld Expo/Tokyo (a.k.a. MacTokyo) was smaller than those I remember from the more distant past. The booths were set up only in the center of one of the double halls of Makuhari Messe, and this time it ran for only three daysShow full article
A few years ago, I realized it was time to abandon my tangled mess of scribbled and photocopied papers that formed my personal information management (PIM) systemShow full article