Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Want to download commercial software for free, legally? In this issue, Matt Neuburg explores the curious case of obsolete and unsupported software, some of which (like the popular outliners MORE and Acta) you can have once again! Also this week, Adam relates his learning experience of trying to buy replacement cell phone and camcorder batteries from clueless Web sites. In the news, we cover the releases of Anarchie 3.6, GoClick 3.0.1, and eMerge 1.6.1.
Stairways Releases Anarchie 3.6 -- Stairways Shareware has released Anarchie 3.6, dropping "Pro" from the name and improving performance by up to 30 percent over version 3.5Show full article
GoClick Simplifies Making Web Pages -- Terry Morse Software has released GoClick, a new product that takes Myrmidon's "print any document to make it a Web page" capability (see various articles about Myrmidon in TidBITS) and extends it with support for Cascading Style Sheets, Adobe GoLive's GRID format and floating boxes, and preservation of overlapping text and graphicsShow full article
eMerge 1.6.1 Expands Direct Email Options -- Galleon Software has released an update to eMerge, adding new filtering and error-checking features to its software for sending bulk personalized email messages (see "Legitimate Bulk Email eMerges" in TidBITS-465)Show full article
Where does old software go when it dies? In one respect, nowhere, because it doesn't die. Unlike a motorcycle, it has no parts to wear or rust. Unlike a book, the pages don't yellow, fade, or tearShow full article
Online commerce is growing all the time, but a recent experience shows just how far we have yet to go. Like good little technogeeks, Tonya and I own a cellular phone and a camcorderShow full article