Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
Other articles in the series FileMaker 5
We celebrate the 500th issue of TidBITS with a redesign of our home page, including the addition of weekly polls and quizzes. Also this week, Adam weighs in with the first part of an article on how he's come to see the light of the MP3 format for music. In the news we cover the releases of a free update to Retrospect 4.2, Retrospect for Windows, Netscape Communicator 4.7, and FileMaker Pro Web Companion 5.0v2, plus cheaper prices on Palm handhelds.
Cheaper Palm VII Debuts Nationwide -- Palm Computing has announced the nationwide availability of the wireless Palm VII device in the United States. The Palm VII, which features built-in wireless Internet access, has been available in the New York City metropolitan area since 24-May-99Show full article
Brought to You by the Letter T -- Only two days after releasing the latest version of their flagship product (see "FileMaker Pro 5 Released to Controversy" in TidBITS-499), FileMaker, IncShow full article
Retrospect 4.2 Update & Retrospect for Windows -- Days after releasing Retrospect for Windows, Dantz Development has released a free downloadable upgrade for the Macintosh version of RetrospectShow full article
Netscape Communicator 4.7 Released -- Despite focusing most of their efforts on Netscape Communicator 5.0, Netscape Communications has released Netscape Communicator 4.7Show full article
I'm shocked that we've published 500 consecutive issues of TidBITS. Back when we started, I would never have predicted that TidBITS would have enjoyed such longevityShow full article
As much as I try to stay abreast of the software world, publishing TidBITS can prevent me from sitting down with a new program or exploring a new technologyShow full article