Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Other articles in the series Trippin' Tunes
Do you have a road trip coming up? Some would argue that Apple's iPod is the best addition to the road trip since air conditioning. But how to play your music through your car's speakers? Travis Butler looks at the iTrip, and compares it with two other FM transmitters that work with the iPod. Also in this issue, Adam's iPhoto 2 Visual QuickStart Guide is now available, as are Safari 1.0b2 v74 and Interarchy 6.2. And, we're taking next week off!
No Issue Next Week -- We won't be publishing TidBITS next Monday to give everyone on the staff a break, particularly Jeff Carlson, who's just finishing iMovie 3: Visual QuickStart Guide and looking forward to a relaxing week culminating with his birthday on May 30thShow full article
Safari 1.0b2 v74 Improves Security -- Apple has released a new version of Safari 1.0b2 to improve how the beta Web browser validates the authenticity of Web sites that use SSL certificatesShow full article
Interarchy 6.2 Released -- Stairways Software has released Interarchy 6.2, its utility for transferring files and testing network connections. The new version features an interarchy command line tool, more efficient SFTP mirroring, support for ELFP and SuperDOS FTP servers, and the capability to copy Rendezvous URLs from the Bookmarks windowShow full article
After releasing chapters of iPhoto 2 for Mac OS X: Visual QuickStart Guide to those who pre-ordered the book, and then the entire book as a single PDF file for early adopters, it seems almost anticlimactic now that the paper version of the book is readily available from traditional bookstoresShow full article
I've put 110,000 miles on my car in the last four years, and that doesn't count the untold miles I've driven in company vehicles. In other words, I spend time on the roadShow full article
Challenge-Response Anti-Spam Systems -- Our policy about challenge-response anti-spam systems drew comments from all sides, people who like the concept (including the CEO of one of the main challenge-response services) and those who consider them a significant threat to the long-term utility of email once spammers start attacking themShow full article