Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
Other articles in the series Backed Up Today?
- Retrospect 5.1 Improves Disaster Recovery (14 Jul 03)
- Configuring a Utility Hard Disk (24 Mar 03)
- Retrospect 5.0 Enables Mac OS X Backups (01 Apr 02)
- What About Backing Up to FireWire Hard Disks? (02 Apr 01)
- Ecrix's VXA-1 Tape Drive: Big Fast Backups (26 Feb 01)
- Internet Backup Strategies (14 Dec 98)
- Have You Backed Up Today? Part 4 (22 Jun 98)
- Internet Backup via BackJack (15 Jun 98)
- Have You Backed Up Today? Part 3 (15 Jun 98)
- Have You Backed Up Today? Part 2 (08 Jun 98)
- Have You Backed Up Today? Part 1 (01 Jun 98)
We're looking out for you and your data with this issue! First, Derek Miller passes on a warning (and identification tips) about clever spam that purports to be from PayPal in an attempt to get you to reveal your PayPal password. Then Adam reviews Granite Digital's FireVue Hot Swap Drive System; a great option for hard drive-based backups. In the news, we cover the releases of Entourage's new Exchange support, Tinderbox 2.0 and Font Reserve 3.1.2.
Entourage Gets Exchange Support -- In a move to welcome Macs into mixed computing environments, Microsoft has updated Entourage X to work with a Microsoft Exchange ServerShow full article
Tinderbox 2 Improves Weblog Tools -- Eastgate Systems has released Tinderbox 2, an update to its utility for storing and organizing notes and other informational content (see "Light Your Fire with Tinderbox" in TidBITS-651)Show full article
Font Reserve 3.1.2 Update Released -- Extensis has released a minor update to Font Reserve, one of the font management utilities in its stable. (Extensis also owns Suitcase, and recently purchased Font Reserve's parent company DiamondSoft; see "Extensis Buys DiamondSoft" in TidBITS-686Show full article
Most spam is simply annoying - a waste of time, effort, and computer resources, to be sure, but not usually dangerous. However, a small but significant number of spammers go beyond being merely misleading or offensive by actively trying to defraud peopleShow full article
I'm a huge promoter of solid backup practices (have you backed up recently?) and for many years I relied on a combination of Dantz Development's Retrospect and a DAT tape driveShow full article
The future of Casady & Greene products -- A recent post to this old thread reveals where you can download Glider Pro, previously published by Casady & Greene, for freeShow full article