Give Back to AOL -- A broad-based coalition of online groups has announced an Internet-wide program to thank commercial online service America Online for providing computer users with so many free disks and CD-ROMs. Last year in TidBITS-270, we reported how AOL's disk distributions were in fact an effort to prevent Microsoft from cornering the world market for floppy disks. Since then, Windows 95 has been released, and although it has become common on new machines, upgrade sales have been sluggish, with a high rate of returns. AOL's ploy proved unnecessary, but the computer community still wanted to thank AOL for its valiant efforts; hence the Give Back to AOL program, which encourages users to send their stacks of AOL floppies and CDs back to AOL for reuse. Organizers of the program say they understand that CDs can't be reused, but note that "you can do some really neat decorating things with them." [ECA]
Add Hyperlinks to TextExpander Snippets
You can include a clickable link in a TextExpander snippet. Here's how:
- Create a new snippet.
- From the Content menu (just above the snippet body), choose Content: Formatted Text, Picture.
- Put a full URL in the snippet body, such as http://www.smilesoftware.com/
- Control-click the link text and choose Make Link from the pop-up menu.
After you've made the link, you can replace the visible URL with other text. Just put your cursor in the active link text and make changes as you would with any other text.
- Microsoft to Corner Floppy Market? (01 Apr 95)
Published in TidBITS 321.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Perot & Forbes to Buy Apple?
- Star Trek fans
- My First C Compiler
- Point of Presence Company Expands
- Netscape Sleep Plug-In
- TidBITS Staff Cited
- Mac of the Month Club
- WebCommando Moves In
- Larger Newton Due This Spring
- Microsoft Testers Threaten Strike
- FEdit Returns!
- Internet Downsizing Brings Heavy Losses
Give Back to AOL
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>