Listed by TidBITS Talk members two years running as a top productivity software pick in our annual TidBITS Gift Guide (see "TidBITS Gift Guide 2009," 7 December 2009, and "TidBITS Gift Guide 2008," 8 December 2008), Hamrick Software's scanning utility VueScan has been recently updated. The latest version addresses a compatibility issue with certain Dell all-in-one printers, a connectivity issue with the Photosmart D5400 printer, a failure of the skew box to update properly, and an interface problem with the multi-crop box. ($39.95 new, free update, 9.1 MB)
Copy Existing Filename to 'Save As' Field
While many utilities provide file naming automation, they're mostly overkill for those cases when you need to make small variations in file content while ensuring the documents group together in a "by name" list.
In the Save As dialog, the default name is the current document name. You can quickly change this to match any existing file.
1. Make the list of files the active element.
2. Click on a grayed-out filename, which momentarily turns black.
3. The Save As field now contains the filename you just clicked.
You can modify the name (adding, say, "version 3") or overwrite that existing file you clicked.
- TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 15 February 2010 (15 Feb 10)
- TidBITS Gift Guide 2009 (07 Dec 09)
- TidBITS Gift Guide 2008 (08 Dec 08)
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as “Tx” for “TextExpander”. With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and