Congratulations to David Gue at telusplanet.net and Nick Robson at gmail.com, whose entries were chosen randomly in the last DealBITS drawing and who each received a copy of PDF Shrink 4.5, worth $35. But don't fret if you didn't win, since Apago is offering a 20-percent-off discount on PDF Shrink 4.5 to all TidBITS readers through 13 August 2010. To take advantage of the discount, order from Apago's store; the discount appears once you've added PDF Shrink to your cart. Thanks to the 732 people who entered this DealBITS drawing, and we hope you'll continue to participate in the future!
Syslogd Overwhelming Your Computer?
If your Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) system is unexpectedly sluggish, logging might be the culprit. Run Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/ folder), and click the CPU column twice to get it to show most to least activity. If syslogd is at the top of the list, there's a fix. Syslogd tracks informational messages produced by software and writes them to the asl.db, a file in your Unix /var/log/ directory. It's a known problem that syslogd can run amok. There's a fix: deleting the asl.db file.
Launch Terminal (from the same Utilities folder), and enter these commands exactly as written, entering your administrative password when prompted:
sudo launchctl stop com.apple.syslogd
sudo rm /var/log/asl.db
sudo launchctl start com.apple.syslogd
Your system should settle down to normal. For more information, follow the link.
- DealBITS Drawing: Win a Copy of PDF Shrink 4.5 (18 Jul 10)
Published in TidBITS 1037.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Take Control Sale: 50% Off to Celebrate Account Management
- Skype 2.0.1 Brings Background Calls to iOS
- iBooks 1.1.2 Adds Image Zooming, Fixes PDF Link Bug
- Apple Donates MacPaint and QuickDraw Source Code to Museum
- Beware Bluetooth Keyboards with iOS Devices
- Apple Reports $3.25 Billion Profit for Q3 2010
- Apps and Docs in iOS
- Take Control’s Problems with Apps and Docs in iOS
- TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 26 July 2010
- ExtraBITS for 26 July 2010