Apple has released another batch of firmware updates similar in scope to the trio of updates from several weeks ago (see “Firmware Updates for Mac mini, MacBook, and 13-inch MacBook Pro,” 25 January 2012). The new iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.8 (mid 2010 models), MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.6 (early 2010 models), and MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 2.3 (late 2010 models) updates, like the previous set, enable Lion Recovery from an Internet connection (and all of them require Mac OS X 10.7.3 or later). Additionally, the MacBook Air update fixes an issue where the system could restart if the power button was pressed while waking from deep sleep. As with any firmware update, you should read the installation instructions carefully before installing. To ensure you get an update only if it’s necessary, we recommend relying on Software Update; if an update doesn’t appear for you, it’s not appropriate for your Mac. (Free, 3 MB)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Firmware Updates for iMac, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to Dave Lee, Peter Stoddard, Dave Traynor, and John
Willis for their generous support!