While not a major release from a numerical standpoint, version 7.0.15055 of the Parallels Desktop virtualization software gets you ready to explore two of 2012’s major operating system releases. The update brings experimental support for the OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Developer Preview as both a host and guest and support for Microsoft’s Windows 8 Consumer Preview. And according to the Parallels Consumer Tech Blog, the release also enables you to download and install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview using the Parallels Wizard, plus remotely access and control the Windows 8 virtual machine using Parallels Mobile. ($79.99 new, $49.99 upgrade, $39.99 student edition, free update, 304 MB)
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.