Stairways Software has released Keyboard Maestro 5.1, which brings a number of improvements and fixes to the automation utility. Most notably, the update adds a new For Each action that enables you to loop over a variety of collections (including files in a folder, mounted volumes, lines in a file, and more), acting on each item in turn. Other additions include a Percent Encode for URL filter and a signed developer ID that is used by OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion’s Gatekeeper security feature. The update also fixes a crash that could occur when a called text factory no longer exists, as well as a lockup when entering quoted strings in calculations. Read a complete rundown of all the improvements and fixes included in this update at the company’s blog. ($36 new, free update, $25 upgrade from versions previous to 5.0, 16.3 MB, release notes)
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.