Code 42 Software has released version 3.2 of its CrashPlan and CrashPlan PRO backup software and online backup service. Most noticeably, an icon has been added to the menu bar that enables you to see the status of inbound and outbound backups (including pause and start capabilities), specify a time period to pause all backups, and open the CrashPlan application. Other new features include an option to pause backups automatically should your laptop run low on battery power; another option to pause backups automatically based on network interface and wireless network connection; and the capability to restore files from another user with either the original file permissions or with your current file permissions. Existing users will automatically receive the update to their client software, and a handful of known issues are being actively addressed. (Free with 30-day online backup trial, 17.8 MB, release notes)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
CrashPlan and CrashPlan PRO 3.2
Check out the Take Control ebooks that expand on the topic in this article:
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>