Smile has updated both PDFpen and PDFpenPro to version 5.8.5 to add compatibility with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. Additionally, both releases fix an issue with scanning when running 10.7 Lion, as well as an issue where resampling at a lower resolution produced a larger saved file. Both updates are rounded out by other unnamed minor fixes and improvements. ($59.95/$99.95 new with a 20-percent discount for TidBITS members, free update, 40.7/41 MB)
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software