Apple brings an added measure of security to Mac OS X Lion with the inclusion of Gatekeeper in the Mac OS X 10.7.5 update. (If you haven't been keeping up with Gatekeeper or other new features included in 10.8 Mountain Lion, see Rich Mogull’s “Gatekeeper Slams the Door on Mac Malware Epidemics,” 16 February 2012.) Note, however, that Gatekeeper isn’t called out very visibly on the Security and Privacy preference pane in System Preferences. You’ll find it in the General pane under “Allow applications downloaded from,” with “Mac App Store and identified developers” being the default setting. The update also resolves an issue where icons in Launchpad could be rearranged after a restart, improves Wi-Fi reliability for iMac models released in 2009 or later, fixes an issue using Spotlight to search an SMB server, and improves compatibility with Active Directory servers. It’s available via Software Update (894.3 MB) or via direct download in two flavors — a Client version for those running 10.7.4 (1.14 GB) and a Client Combo version for those running previous versions of Lion (1.91 GB). (Free update)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 Supplemental Update (05 Oct 12)
- Gatekeeper Slams the Door on Mac Malware Epidemics (16 Feb 12)
Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>
2008 Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual Quad-Core; 2 Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT video cards driving 4 Dell UltraSharp 20" monitors; monitors used in vertical orientation.
After 10.7.5 load, Mac Pro crashed on startup until PRAM was reset. After PRAM was reset 1 of 8800's will only feed its 2 monitors in horizontal orientation; a reset of the display preferences for these two monitors results in the monitors going black. 16 secs after going dark the two monitors reappear with horizontal orientation.
No known fix.
Does anyone know how to get Build 11G56? Or does our machines only download certain builds? After rolling back to 10.7.4, I don’t want to deal with installing 10.7.5, and then a supplement, only to find out that I still have problems.
Is there any way to check a dmg for build version?