Rogue Amoeba has updated its Airfoil network audio streaming app for the Mac to version 4.7.3, which now offers full support for receiving audio through Airfoil Speakers from devices running iOS 6. The Instant On component receives an update to version 6.0.2 to fix several unspecified issues, and the Airfoil Video Player has been fixed to avoid a crash on OS X 10.8.2. Additionally, audio can be captured from the WebKit application on Mountain Lion and Airfoil has been given an improved update process with automatic downloads and installation on quitting the app (via a newer version of Sparkle). ($25 new with a 15-percent discount for TidBITS members, free update, 9.1 MB, release notes)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree