With the release of iTunes 11.0.1, Apple rectifies one of the glaring omissions of its initial release — displaying duplicates (just one of the excised features noted in “iTunes 11: The Features Apple Removed, and Alternatives,” 4 December 2012). Previously found in the File menu, the new Show Duplicate Items command has now been shifted to the View menu. Another complaint about iTunes 11, especially for those with large music libraries, was its frustratingly slow search. (In a library of over 41,000 songs, just typing the first character of a query in the search field would bring up Mac OS X’s spinning beach ball for 5 to 6 seconds.) Apple promises that iTunes 11.0.1 will be more responsive when searching through larger libraries, and this does seem to be the case in our initial tests. The update also fixes a couple of bugs: one where new purchases in iCloud wouldn’t show up in libraries with iTunes Match turned on and another where the AirPlay button didn’t appear as expected. We’ve also noticed that the column browser can be displayed in certain situations when the sidebar is showing, something that wasn’t always possible in 11.0. You can get the new release via the Mac App Store (Mountain Lion), Software Update (Lion and Snow Leopard), or direct download. (Free, 198 MB)
Disable Caps Lock
If you find yourself pressing the Caps Lock key accidentally as much as I do, note that you can disable it entirely in Mac OS X. Open the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane, click the Modifier Keys button, and in the dialog that appears, select No Action from the Caps Lock pop-up menu. You could remap it to another modifier instead, but that might make using differently configured Macs more difficult.
Other articles in the series All about iTunes 11
- “Take Control of iTunes 11: The FAQ” Answers Your iTunes Questions (24 Jan 13)
- Managing Books in iTunes: This Novel Has a Nice Beat (14 Jan 13)
- VidBITS: iTunes 11 and Comparing Antivirus Apps (17 Dec 12)
- iTunes 11.0.1 Fixes Most of the Hits and Misses in iTunes 11.0 Searching (11 Dec 12)
- iTunes 11: The Features Apple Removed, and Alternatives (04 Dec 12)
- iTunes 11 Interface Innovations: Good and Bad, but Not Ugly (02 Dec 12)
- Redesigned iTunes 11 Brings iCloud Streaming and New MiniPlayer (30 Nov 12)
Check out the Take Control ebooks that expand on the topic in this article:
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>