Rogue Amoeba has released Airfoil 4.7.5, which restricts searches to your local network to prevent possible issues with Back to My Mac and iCloud. The update also fixes an issue with failing to open a DVD in Airfoil Video Player, prevents a crash if the Transmit button gets pressed exactly as an output disappears, and provides some small improvements for Retina displays (a full Retina display update is yet to come). ($25 new with a 20-percent discount for TidBITS members, free update, 10.6 MB, release notes)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software