Reminding everyone that Fetch and Transmit aren’t the only players in the file transfer app game, the Cyberduck team has released version 4.3 of the open source app, the first update since late 2011. The biggest news is that Cyberduck has dropped support for Dropbox, Google Drive, and Windows Azure, enabling the developers to get their ducks in a row to improve support for Amazon S3 (though a Cyberduck blog post notes that the team may reintroduce support for Azure and Google Drive should user demand be significant). The new release gets updates for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion with support for Gatekeeper and Notification Center, plus it adds support for Retina displays. Cyberduck is now also integrated with Qloudstat, a service that provides analytics and monitoring for CloudFront distributions, S3 buckets, and containers in Rackspace CloudFiles. A few days after this update came out, Cyberduck 4.3.1 was released with a fix for an issue that prevented the app from setting the speed limit to unlimited. Cyberduck is free, though you can support it via a donation or a $23.99 purchase made through the Mac App Store. (Free, 26.1 MB, release notes)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as "Tx" for "TextExpander". With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and
I currently dont have a "clean" machine at hand to check it out. I recently did a fresh install on several clients and they are all already "poisoned" with Java 6 with Cyberduck being a major reason for it. Anyway I thought it was worth to mention. I like Java a lot, but from an admins perspective, it is no good on common client machines for office purposes any longer.