Apple has released Security Update 2013-003 for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (20.4 MB) as well as for 10.7 Lion and 10.6 Snow Leopard, both of which receive two versions: Lion (61 MB) and Lion Server (111.3 MB), plus Snow Leopard (349.5 MB) and Snow Leopard Server (424.5 MB). All versions of this security update close vulnerabilities with buffer overflows within QuickTime that could lead to “unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution.” In particular, the updates deal with buffer overflows in Sorenson and H.264 encoded movie files, plus the handling of “mvhd” movie header atoms. (Free)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Security Update 2013-003 for Mountain Lion, Lion, and Snow Leopard
Automatic’s connected car adapter with iPhone apps on
Automatic’s platform, drivers are able to drive safer and smarter.
TidBITS readers get 20% off all orders at <http://automatic.com/tb>
Comments about Security Update 2013-003 for Mountain Lion, Lion, and Snow Leopard
(Comments are closed.)
Anyone else having this issue?