Preparing for the upcoming release of OS X 10.9 Mavericks, Smile has updated PDFpen and PDFpenPro to version 6.0.5 to fix OCR functionality, the scribble tool, and the Populate Script menu on Apple’s next-generation operating system. The updates also add several printing improvements, including an added option to print selected pages from the sidebar; support for printing multiple, non-contiguous selections of pages; and enhanced printing via AppleScript. Other changes include an added dictionary lookup using a three-finger tap (on 10.8 Mountain Lion and later), and improved performance with encrypted PDFs and PDFs containing inline images. The Mac App Store versions of PDFpen and PDFpenPro also add the standard OS X iCloud file open dialog. ($59.95/$99.95 new with a 20 percent discount for TidBITS members, free update from version 6.0, 50.0/50.8 MB)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
PDFpen and PDFpenPro 6.0.5
Check out the Take Control ebooks that expand on the topic in this article:
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to John Manges, David Bidgood, Peter Wilson, and
Mitchell Wade for their generous support!