St. Clair Software has released Default Folder X 4.6.4, which improves how the initial folder is set in a file dialog in a wide range of popular applications, including Apple’s Mail and Pages, Microsoft Word and Excel, and Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. The update fixes an issue in Carbon applications that could result in file dialogs switching away from a folder after Default Folder X initially switched to it, addresses a bug with the rebound feature that caused nothing to be selected, and corrects a conflict with OmniOutliner 4 that caused its Export dialog to hang. It also fixes a bug that could cause the Save button to stop working in Save As dialogs, and resolves a conflict related to apps and macro utilities that type text into the filename field of Save dialogs (such as Typinator, Keyboard Maestro, and TypeIt4Me). ($34.95 new, $10 off for TidBITS members, free update, 11.1 MB, release notes)
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software