With the release of GarageBand 10.0.2 for the Mac, Apple has finally brought back the capability to export in MP3 format, a feature missing since last October’s Mavericks-only update (see “New Free iLife and iWork Apps Share across Devices and Platforms,” 22 October 2013). It was a bedeviling change that exasperated a great many users (who voiced their frustrations on Apple’s Support Communities; here’s one discussion thread example), and caused this writer to continue using the previous version of GarageBand (6.0.5). The update also offers multiple enhancements to Accessibility; adds three new Drummers and drum kits from the rock, songwriter, and R&B genres; and improves overall stability. (Free from the Mac App Store, 986 MB)
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.