Houdah Software has updated Type2Phone to version 2.4, adding a welcome Compose window to the utility that lets you type on your iOS devices from your Mac. We haven’t covered minor releases since my review a year ago (see “Type2Phone: Use Your Mac as a Keyboard for iOS Devices,” 10 April 2013), but most of the new features until now have revolved around automatic device connections and keyboard shortcuts. Notably, though, version 2.2 gained a Send Using Type2Phone option that’s available from the Apple menu’s Services submenu when you select text in many applications. Type2Phone 2.4 goes one step further and adds a compose window (look in the Window menu) that enables you to write on your Mac and then send the results to your iOS device with the click of a button. A quick 2.4.1 release restores compatibility with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and lets you invoke the iOS Spotlight search with F6 on the Mac. ($4.99 new from the Mac App Store, free update, 800K)
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software