Bare Bones Software has released BBEdit 10.5.10 and TextWrangler 4.5.8, with both updates devoted solely to fixing a number of user-reported issues. The new versions address bugs like a Spotlight-related hang, a crash that would occur when using the New button in an FTP browser window while the item list was empty, and window-related problems when an external display was removed from a laptop. Both apps no longer claim to be able to edit “Java Web Start” files, which should prevent Mac OS X from opening them inappropriately after downloading, and both change Markdown handling so Quick Look should be able to preview Markdown files. BBEdit 10.5.10 also works around a display bug that would cause gray squares to appear in preview windows while resizing them. ($49.99 for BBEdit, free update, 13 MB, release notes; free for TextWrangler, 9.4 MB, release notes)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
BBEdit 10.5.10 and TextWrangler 4.5.8
Check out the Take Control ebooks that expand on the topic in this article:
better-looking. Edit your PDFs anywhere. Sign contracts, make
changes, fill forms, and more. All while you’re on the move.
Syncs via iCloud and Dropbox. <http://smle.us/tbpdfpen-ipad>