Apple has released AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.7.3, which is recommended for all AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule base stations with 802.11ac. Related to the recently exposed Heartbleed bug (see “The Normal Person’s Guide to the Heartbleed Vulnerability,” 9 April 2014), the firmware update fixes an OpenSSL vulnerability that was exposed when the Back to My Mac feature was turned on. After updating the firmware, you may need to re-enable Back to My Mac using AirPort Utility and your Mac’s System Preferences. You must update your AirPort base station using AirPort Utility on your Mac or an iOS device with the free AirPort Utility app installed (the download isn’t available via the Apple Support Web page or Software Update).
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.7.3
Automatic’s connected car adapter with iPhone apps on
Automatic’s platform, drivers are able to drive safer and smarter.
TidBITS readers get 20% off all orders at <http://automatic.com/tb>