Apple has released AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.7.3, which is recommended for all AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule base stations with 802.11ac. Related to the recently exposed Heartbleed bug (see “The Normal Person’s Guide to the Heartbleed Vulnerability,” 9 April 2014), the firmware update fixes an OpenSSL vulnerability that was exposed when the Back to My Mac feature was turned on. After updating the firmware, you may need to re-enable Back to My Mac using AirPort Utility and your Mac’s System Preferences. You must update your AirPort base station using AirPort Utility on your Mac or an iOS device with the free AirPort Utility app installed (the download isn’t available via the Apple Support Web page or Software Update).
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.7.3
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to Tommy Weir, Geoffrey Burchfield, Michael
Müller-Hillebrand, and Bart Smith for their generous support!