Microsoft has updated Office 2011 to version 14.4.2 with just a few improvements. The release fixes a nagging bug that always required product activation after restarting a Mac with a Fusion Drive (though you may have to enter your activation details one final time after installing this update). It also provides two PowerPoint-related fixes — one for an issue that made the Undo button disappear after saving a presentation to a local drive, and another that caused YouTube link data to disappear after saving a presentation. (Free update from the Microsoft Download Center or through Microsoft AutoUpdate, 114 MB, release notes, 10.5+)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software