Rogue Amoeba has released Fission 2.2.1 with a fix for incompatible ALAC files generated by non-Apple applications (such as doubleTwist’s AirPlay Recorder). The audio editor also improves the way that ringtones are saved for better compatibility, though Mac App Store users may experience duplicate files depending on iTunes import preferences. Rogue Amoeba now ensures that all of its apps offer the same bit rate options for consistency. Fission also does away with unnecessary gaps at the beginning of files when exporting FLAC or ALAC files and can now open GSM, MS IMA, QT IMA, and CAF formats. ($32 new from Rogue Amoeba with a 20 percent discount for TidBITS members, free update, 14.5 MB, release notes, 10.7+)
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard