Smile has released version 6.3 of PDFpen and PDFpenPro with added support for text-to-speech and improved support for VoiceOver in several areas (such as for fillable text fields and previously unlabeled interface elements). The all-purpose PDF editing apps also gain support for page-down scrolling/navigation via the Space bar, restore the Command-5 keyboard shortcut for turning on the Text tool, improve performance of the Split PDF script, fix a bug that caused certain multi-page documents to show only one page, improve saving performance in large or complex PDFs, and fix several instances of crashes and hangs. ($59.95/$99.95 new with a 20 percent discount for TidBITS members, 52.7/53.4 MB, release notes, 10.7+)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
PDFpen and PDFpenPro 6.3
Check out the Take Control ebooks that expand on the topic in this article:
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to MASAZUMI KASAHARA, the shaggy viking, John
Boetttiger, and Leroy Sprinz for their generous support!