Bombich Software has released Carbon Copy Cloner 3.5.5 with a couple of new proactive features related to hard drive errors. The bootable backup utility will now abort a backup task within five minutes if a defective hard drive is hanging and then collect extensive diagnostics information, as well as report physical read and write errors before starting a task to give you the opportunity to abort the backup. The update also improves progress indication in situations where the first folder encountered has many items, improves the performance of saving multiple scheduled tasks, and fixes a bug that prevented idle sleep after displaying the “Task finished” panel for a scheduled task. ($39.95 new, free update, 10.8 MB, release notes, 10.6+)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Carbon Copy Cloner 3.5.5
Check out the Take Control ebooks that expand on the topic in this article:
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>