Global Delight has released Voila 3.8 with several new features added to the screen capture utility. The update adds a magnifier to aid in drawing precise boundaries for your captures, brings support for uploading captures directly to Google Drive, adds support for scaling down videos recorded on a Retina display, and improves access to trimming videos by placing an option in the video player strip. For a limited time, Voila is priced at $14.99, 50 percent off its normal $29.99 price. ($29.99 new from Global Delight with a 25 percent discount for TidBITS members or from the Mac App Store, free update, 23.5 MB, 10.8+)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree