Rogue Amoeba has released Airfoil 4.8.8, a small but important update to the audio transmission utility. The release addresses several changes that Apple made to its Gatekeeper system and restores compatibility for those running (the as-yet-unreleased) OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks and later. Additionally, update improves how it filters its background processes for the Source pop-up menu, restores the capability to capture Text to Speech audio, and provides relevant track titles to Nicecast when using Airfoil Speakers. ($25 new with a 20 percent discount for TidBITS members, free update, 14.9 MB, release notes, 10.7+)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as "Tx" for "TextExpander". With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and