Rogue Amoeba has released Fission 2.2.2, a small maintenance release for the audio editor that fixes a rare crash (caused by closing a window) and a regression of Apple Lossless transcoding. The update also adds a hidden preference to disable the limit on Smart Splits, improves logging in the Saving pipeline (with more detailed optional error reporting available), and is more forgiving when importing slightly malformed FLAC files. Additionally, the Mac App Store version addresses several changes that Apple made to its Gatekeeper system. ($32 new from Rogue Amoeba with a 20 percent discount for TidBITS members, free update, 14.5 MB, release notes, 10.7+)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to Ed, George Rubin, Arthur Maddox, and Scott Hards for
their generous support!