Apple last week released two security updates, version 1.1 of Security Update 2007-005 (see "Security Update 2007-005 Released," 2007-05-28) and Security Update (QuickTime 7.1.6). As of this writing, Apple had said nothing about what was fixed in the 1.1 version of Security Update 2007-005, but the QuickTime security update fixes two issues in QuickTime for Java that could result either in arbitrary code execution or disclosure of sensitive information. That sounds similar to the security fixes in QuickTime 7.1.6 itself from earlier this month, but it seems to be different (see "QuickTime, AirPort, Security Updates Released," 2007-05-07). In either case, both updates are likely worthwhile. Downloads for Security Update 2007-005 1.1 are available in PowerPC (15.7 MB) and Universal (29.2 MB) forms, and Security Update (QuickTime 7.1.6) is a 1.4 MB download. Or just use Software Update to get the appropriate version for your Mac.
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.