Despite the kerfuffle over support for worldwide daylight saving time rule changes in various versions of Mac OS X (see Andrew Laurence's "Daylight Saving Time May Bite the Out-of-Date" (2007-01-29) for the start of our coverage), it appears that Apple missed the new rules in New Zealand in even the most recent versions of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. New Zealand's new rules take effect at 2 AM on 30-Sep-07, so if you're in New Zealand and want your Mac to honor the new rules, download Glenn Anderson's free New Zealand 2007 Daylight Savings Time Update for Mac OS X (33K download). It works with Mac OS X 10.4.10, may work with 10.4.9, and probably won't work with 10.4.8 or earlier. Glenn, who's best known in the Mac world as the author of Eudora Internet Mail Server (EIMS), has also now released a version of his daylight saving time utility for Mac OS X 10.3.9, along with a Daylight Savings Editor for Mac OS 9, both available at the same page.
Open Recent Office 2008 Docs by Date
Office 2008 applications like Word and Excel now list recently opened documents on a File > Open Recent submenu. Choose More from that menu, and you'll get a multifunction Project Gallery dialog. Click the Recent button at the top and then select a date range in the Dates list to find files that were last opened today, yesterday, earlier in the week, last week, and so forth. (The Settings pane in the Project Gallery dialog lets you set how many recently opened files show in the File > Open Recent submenu.)
Published in TidBITS 897.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- AT&T Runaround for Early iPhone Adopters
- iPhoney Baloney Browser
- Starbucks To Give Away 50 Million iTunes Songs
- Macs Speak Clearly with Infovox iVox
- Yugma Provides Free Web Conferencing
- iPhone Launch Set for UK and Germany, with Murky Data Plan
- New York Times Frees Old Articles
- QuickerTek Expands Inexpensive Wi-Fi Options for Macs
- OWC Ships 802.11n Adapters for Older Macs
- Confusion Over Santa Rosa: What's in a Name?
- Take Control News: Make the Most of Apple Mail and .Mac
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/24-Sep-07
Daylight Saving Time Rules Fixed for New Zealand
Experience pro-level features like iCloud Drive, palm protection,
a new easy-to-use iOS 8 interface and more! Get full-featured PDF
editing power in a mobile app today! <http://smle.us/pdfpen2-ios-tb>