Despite the kerfuffle over support for worldwide daylight saving time rule changes in various versions of Mac OS X (see Andrew Laurence's "Daylight Saving Time May Bite the Out-of-Date" (2007-01-29) for the start of our coverage), it appears that Apple missed the new rules in New Zealand in even the most recent versions of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. New Zealand's new rules take effect at 2 AM on 30-Sep-07, so if you're in New Zealand and want your Mac to honor the new rules, download Glenn Anderson's free New Zealand 2007 Daylight Savings Time Update for Mac OS X (33K download). It works with Mac OS X 10.4.10, may work with 10.4.9, and probably won't work with 10.4.8 or earlier. Glenn, who's best known in the Mac world as the author of Eudora Internet Mail Server (EIMS), has also now released a version of his daylight saving time utility for Mac OS X 10.3.9, along with a Daylight Savings Editor for Mac OS 9, both available at the same page.
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard
Published in TidBITS 897.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- AT&T Runaround for Early iPhone Adopters
- iPhoney Baloney Browser
- Starbucks To Give Away 50 Million iTunes Songs
- Macs Speak Clearly with Infovox iVox
- Yugma Provides Free Web Conferencing
- iPhone Launch Set for UK and Germany, with Murky Data Plan
- New York Times Frees Old Articles
- QuickerTek Expands Inexpensive Wi-Fi Options for Macs
- OWC Ships 802.11n Adapters for Older Macs
- Confusion Over Santa Rosa: What's in a Name?
- Take Control News: Make the Most of Apple Mail and .Mac
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/24-Sep-07