This article originally appeared in TidBITS on 2008-06-05 at 3:14 p.m.
The permanent URL for this article is: http://tidbits.com/article/9642
Include images: Off
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 09-Jun-08
- Canon Print Driver 1.1  and Brother Print Driver 1.1  from Apple add support for more Canon and Brother printers in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, but you probably don't want the standalone versions, since they include all Canon and Brother printer drivers. Instead, stick with Software Update, which will download updated drivers for just those printers you actually have (and have configured in Mac OS X). (Free, Canon 267 MB, Brother 54.5 MB)
- Typinator HTML Snippet Set  from Ergonis adds over 100 predefined abbreviations for HTML 4.0.1 tags to the company's text expansion utility. After installation, you can simply type "<<" followed by the tag you want, and Typinator will insert all the necessary tags and variables and place the insertion point appropriately. (Free for Typinator users, 44K)
- Default Folder X 4.0.6  from St. Clair Software now enhances Open and Save dialogs further by remembering the width of resized columns in file dialogs that use column view. Other changes include a fix that allows Default Folder X's preferences to be moved between PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs, a fix for Carbon applications ignoring one of Default Folder X's keyboard shortcuts, and improved compatibility with Kodak Preps, Web Confidential, Parallels Desktop, and QuarkXPress. ($34.95 new, free update for purchases after 01-Jun-07 or $14.95 for purchases before that date, 9.3 MB)
- DragThing 5.9.3  from TLA Systems addresses a number of problems introduced in the highly configurable dock utility by the release of Mac OS X 10.5.3 and related to Dock windows failing to come to the front reliably. The fix is that the Desktop Trash no longer appears in all Spaces by default. ($29 new, free upgrade, 7.5 MB)
- Differencia 1.1  from DayTime Software looks to be an extremely interesting data comparison and differencing application that can compare data files from different applications and different formats. You might use Differencia to compare data exported from MYOB and QuickBooks, to compare multiple contact databases, and more. Most people won't need Differencia, but for those who do, it could save an incredible amount of time and effort. ($39.95 new, 2.3 MB)
- Owners of Data Rescue II  (hard drive and file recovery) and Drive Genius 2  (disk defragmenting, partitioning, and directory repair) from Prosoft Engineering can now get Leopard Boot DVDs for both products. The DVDs are free to current owners, although there's a no-hassle approach (if you can't find your receipt) that costs $5.