- Firefox 3.0.4 from Mozilla is a relatively minor update to the popular Web browser with changes focusing on various security and stability issues. Other enhancements include support for the Icelandic and Thai languages, and beta support for the Bulgarian, Esperanto, Estonian, Latvian, Occitan, and Welsh languages. Additionally, the internal public suffix list has been updated to include new domain suffixes. Finally, two bugs affecting saved passwords and proxy settings have been fixed. (Free update, 17.2 MB)
- Coda 1.6 from Panic updates the Web site development tool with several new features. Chief among them is added support for plug-ins that extend functionality. Users can write their own plug-ins or download ones created by other users. Panic's Web site includes a Code Developer Zone, where one can learn more about creating plug-ins. Other additions include a Smart Spelling feature that can check non-code text, increased Subversion support, added find-and-replace capabilities, and an Open Quickly window that simplifies the process of finding and editing files. ($99 new, free update, 20 MB)
- PDFpen 4.0.2 from SmileOnMyMac is a minor update to the PDF editing utility. Changes include an optional command to force OCR of an entire document, Bates numbering capabilities (a standard numbering system used in legal documents), improved support for Preview, and a variety of other small fixes and improvements. All changes have also been made to the pro version, PDFpenPro. ($49.95/$99.95 PDFpen/PDFpenPro, free update, 12.2 MB)
- iLife Support 8.3.1 from Apple is a minor security update to the suite of iTunes, iPhoto, iWeb, iDVD, iMovie, and GarageBand under Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger. According to Apple's support page, "This update improves overall stability and addresses a number of other minor issues." More specifically, the update addresses three bugs that cause program crashes and arbitrary code executions when viewing certain malicious TIFF and JPEG files. The update is necessary only for Tiger, and can be downloaded via Software Update or as a standalone download. (Free, 11.7 MB)
- NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 3 from NeoOffice updates the open-source productivity suite with security-related bug fixes, Mac OS X Services support, and experimental Snow Leopard support. The update's extended Mac OS X Services support now enables NeoOffice Services menu items to open the corresponding Mac OS X applications. However, only services that read data are supported; for example, language conversion services are excluded. Finally, NeoOffice is now capable of running on Apple's recently released Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard developer seed. This update includes all bug fixes from previous NeoOffice 2.2.5 patches. (Free update, 5.5 MB)
Fill in Gaps in Pear Note
If you ever find yourself zoning out during a meeting or class, only later to realize that you forgot to take notes for 20 minutes, Pear Note makes it easy to fill in those gaps. To do so:
- Open your Pear Note document.
- Hit play.
- Click on the last text you did type to jump to that point in the recording.
- Click the lock to unlock the text of the note.
- Take notes on the part you missed.
Your new notes will be synced to the recording just as if you'd taken them live with the rest of your notes.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 954.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- No TidBITS Issue on 24-Nov-08
- Safari 3.2 Fixes Security Flaws
- Laptop Recovery Software Uses Wi-Fi and Flickr
- MacSpeech Sponsoring TidBITS, Joins Returning Sponsors
- Parallels Releases Parallels Desktop 4.0
- iPhone Saves Weary Road Warrior
- Send SMS Messages for Free on the iPhone
- Wrangle Windows on a Mac with 'Take Control of VMware Fusion 2'
- Comparing Five iPhone File Transfer Apps
- Improving the HTML Accessibility of Our Cart
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/17-Nov-08
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 17-Nov-08
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to Howard Kirschner, Stephen Orbach, Jean-Pierre
Bollen, and Andrew Cohen for their generous support!