- Firefox 3.0.4 from Mozilla is a relatively minor update to the popular Web browser with changes focusing on various security and stability issues. Other enhancements include support for the Icelandic and Thai languages, and beta support for the Bulgarian, Esperanto, Estonian, Latvian, Occitan, and Welsh languages. Additionally, the internal public suffix list has been updated to include new domain suffixes. Finally, two bugs affecting saved passwords and proxy settings have been fixed. (Free update, 17.2 MB)
- Coda 1.6 from Panic updates the Web site development tool with several new features. Chief among them is added support for plug-ins that extend functionality. Users can write their own plug-ins or download ones created by other users. Panic's Web site includes a Code Developer Zone, where one can learn more about creating plug-ins. Other additions include a Smart Spelling feature that can check non-code text, increased Subversion support, added find-and-replace capabilities, and an Open Quickly window that simplifies the process of finding and editing files. ($99 new, free update, 20 MB)
- PDFpen 4.0.2 from SmileOnMyMac is a minor update to the PDF editing utility. Changes include an optional command to force OCR of an entire document, Bates numbering capabilities (a standard numbering system used in legal documents), improved support for Preview, and a variety of other small fixes and improvements. All changes have also been made to the pro version, PDFpenPro. ($49.95/$99.95 PDFpen/PDFpenPro, free update, 12.2 MB)
- iLife Support 8.3.1 from Apple is a minor security update to the suite of iTunes, iPhoto, iWeb, iDVD, iMovie, and GarageBand under Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger. According to Apple's support page, "This update improves overall stability and addresses a number of other minor issues." More specifically, the update addresses three bugs that cause program crashes and arbitrary code executions when viewing certain malicious TIFF and JPEG files. The update is necessary only for Tiger, and can be downloaded via Software Update or as a standalone download. (Free, 11.7 MB)
- NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 3 from NeoOffice updates the open-source productivity suite with security-related bug fixes, Mac OS X Services support, and experimental Snow Leopard support. The update's extended Mac OS X Services support now enables NeoOffice Services menu items to open the corresponding Mac OS X applications. However, only services that read data are supported; for example, language conversion services are excluded. Finally, NeoOffice is now capable of running on Apple's recently released Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard developer seed. This update includes all bug fixes from previous NeoOffice 2.2.5 patches. (Free update, 5.5 MB)
Cull Graphics Quickly with Preview
You're faced with a folder full of images, and you need to sort through them, trashing some number and keeping the rest. For a quick way to do that, select them all, and open them in Preview (in Leopard, at least). You'll get a single window with each graphic as an item in the drawer. Use the arrow keys to move from image to image, and when you see one you want to trash, press Command-Delete to move it from its source folder to the Finder's Trash. (Delete by itself just removes the picture from Preview's drawer.)
Published in TidBITS 954.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- No TidBITS Issue on 24-Nov-08
- Safari 3.2 Fixes Security Flaws
- Laptop Recovery Software Uses Wi-Fi and Flickr
- MacSpeech Sponsoring TidBITS, Joins Returning Sponsors
- Parallels Releases Parallels Desktop 4.0
- iPhone Saves Weary Road Warrior
- Send SMS Messages for Free on the iPhone
- Wrangle Windows on a Mac with 'Take Control of VMware Fusion 2'
- Comparing Five iPhone File Transfer Apps
- Improving the HTML Accessibility of Our Cart
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/17-Nov-08
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 17-Nov-08
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>