The time-honored tradition of holiday sales, shopping sprees, and consumer stampedes is here once again, and starting the season off with a bang is Black Friday. The final Friday in November, like every Friday-after-Thanksgiving for the last 40 years, is known as Black Friday (followed shortly by its sister sales event Cyber Monday). The day and weekend mark the inauguration of the holiday sales season with the most eye-popping lineup of deals.
The deals themselves, known as “doorbusters,” provoke hordes of shoppers to line up in the wee hours of the morning to be the first to raid the brick-and-mortar stores (the best deals are often of the limited first-come first-serve variety). These deals exist in the virtual world as well, though servers are often more capable of dealing with the volume than physical stores. We at TidBITS have been awash in Black Friday and Cyber Monday announcements and deals, and we wanted to share the best of them with you.
- Apple: A smorgasbord of deals and discounts available at Apple’s online store, with select offers available in retail stores. For 27 November 2009 only.
- SmileOnMyMac: For 27 November 2009 only, SmileOnMyMac is offering 50 percent off all software including PDFPen, DiscLabel, and TextExpander. The discount also applies to family packs, though the Productivity Suite and upgrades are excluded. To access the sale, use the coupon code “SMILEONFRIDAY”.
- DEVONtechnologies: For 27 November 2009 only, DEVONtechnologies, LLC is offering 25 percent off all software including DEVONthink, DEVONagent, and DEVONnote. The discount also applies to upgrades from Personal to Pro or Pro Office editions of DEVONthink, and upgrades from DEVONagent 1.x to 2.x.
- Ergonis Software: For 27 November 2009 only, Ergonis Software is offering a buy-one-get-one-free sale on its Macility Productivity Site which contains PopChar X, KeyCue, and Typinator. Purchase one Macility Productivity Bundle, and you’ll receive a full 2-pack license at the price of a single license. The purchase also includes all updates and upgrades for each of the three applications for the next two years.
- Karelia Software: For 27 November 2009 only, Karelia Software is offering 50 percent off all license types for its popular Web site creation software Sandvox. The company is also asking customers to consider making a donation to a charitable organization with some or all of the money saved on their purchase. To access the sale, use the coupon code “make a donation”.
- MacTech: For 27 November 2009 only, MacTech Magazine will be giving away 100 free six-month subscriptions – the offer is first-come-first-serve. For those too late to land within the first hundred people, MacTech is still offering a free issue of the longstanding Mac technology journal.
- Creaceed: The maker of Hydra, Prizmo, Magnet and Morph Age is offering these applications at 33 percent off from 26 November 2009 until 28 November 2009. To access to the deal use the coupon code “BlackFriday09” when ordering.
- Microsoft Office 2008: Microsoft is offering $50 off the standard retail price for Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition ($99.95 down from $149.95) Available from 27 November 2009 to 30 November 2009, the discount can be found only at Apple Stores, Best Buy Online, MacMall, Office Max, Mac Connection, and Amazon.com (in some cases the discount is even steeper so consider shopping around).
- Equinux: The maker of CoverScout, TubeStick, and VPN Tracker is offering discounts up to 65 percent off that end at midnight on 30 November 2009.
- Aquafadas: Up to 50 percent off BannerZest, PulpMotion, iDive, VideoPier, and SnapFlow, through 30 November 2009.
- AT&T: Refurbished iPhone 3GS 16GB in black or white on sale for $49.99 with free shipping, down from $199.00. While supplies last.
- Disk Doctors: 30 percent off all products, including Mac Recovery and Mac Photo Recovery, through 2 December 2009. To access the deal use the coupon code “DISK-XRI5” when ordering.
- Macworld: 25 percent off any Conference Package for the 2010 Macworld Conference and Expo, or get an Expo pass for $10 (down from $25). To access the deal use the priority code “MW25” when ordering, through 29 November 2009.
- Yazsoft: Up to 40 percent off Speed Download 5, Playback, and Sharetool. For 27 November 2009 only.
- Ambrosia Software: Between 50 and 70 percent off all games and utilities when purchasing one of the special Holiday Bundles, through 24 December 2009.
Additional Deals — Looking for more deals? Blackfriday.info, MacTech’s Deals and Special Offers Forum, Black Friday Ads, TGI Black Friday, and the Black Friday Twitter stream all have additional sales listed. If you know just what you’re looking for (as opposed to browsing) you’ll want to check out InetSoft’s Black Friday 2009 Offer Browser. The site enables you to interactively sift through the day’s deals by employing multiple filters (ie. price,
brand, category, etc).
Enjoy the bargains, and if we learn of more sales, we’ll add them to this article.