ShareDevil Now Available -- Many thanks to the kind folks at ZMac/MacUser for making the late Robert Hess's ShareDevil utility available for free on the Internet. ShareDevil enhances System 7's file sharing, adding features such as a warning when someone connects to or disconnects from your machine, a file sharing and ARA status window, and an easy way of accessing the file sharing control panels. ShareDevil is an application and uses little memory, so it's a great candidate for the Startup Items folder. Before we set up our SE/30 as a fileserver, I used my 660AV as a server, and I loved having ShareDevil telling me when Tonya was connected (in case I wanted to restart or try flaky software). [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software