Gartner Report Followup -- Many TidBITS readers wrote to ask where they can get their hands on the report from Gartner Group Consulting Services that found Macs cheaper to support than Windows machines (see TidBITS-299). Apple apparently may not be able to make the report available online (the rights are owned by the Gartner Group), but Apple has set up an automatic voice mail system at 800/232-9335 to take requests for physical copies of the report. Apple is working on ways to get the report to folks in countries besides the U.S. and Canada - stay tuned. [GD]
Delete All Comments in Word in a Flash
You needn't clear comments in a Word document one by one. Instead, bring out the big guns to delete all of them at once:
1. Chose Tools > Keyboard Shortcuts.
2. Under Categories, select Tools.
3. Under Commands, select DeleteAllCommentsInDoc.
4. With the insertion point in the "Press new keyboard shortcut" field, press keys to create a keyboard shortcut. (I use Control-7)
5. Click the Assign button.
6. Click OK.
You can now press your keyboard shortcut to zap out the comments.
The steps above work in Word 2008; they likely work nearly as described in older versions of Word.
- Study Finds Macs Cheaper to Support (16 Oct 95)