AOL 2.6 Mac Client Available -- America Online has made version 2.6 of its client software available via FTP. Version 2.6 optionally includes AOL's Web Browser - based on code from InterCon's TCP/Connect II - as well as enhancements to its client interface and bug fixes. If you have an Internet connection already, using the Web via AOL will prove slow and frustrating; however, if you have an AOL account, accessing AOL via TCP/IP is surprisingly spritely. These archives are large, so if download time is a problem, I'm sure AOL will send you a disk or three in the mail before too long. [GD]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree