Following the recent addition of snippets to the keyboard-based launcher (see “LaunchBar 5.5,” 9 June 2013), Objective Development has released LaunchBar 5.5.1 with a single notable refinement among a few minor changes. LaunchBar’s new snippet feature originally enabled you to create plain text snippets, with all snippets saved as individual text files. The update now adds the capability to format the text of a snippet with different fonts and colors (as well as insert images) by opening it in TextEdit (press Shift-Return) and then selecting Make Rich Text from the Format menu (Command-Shift-T) to convert it from plain to rich text. ($35 new with a 20-percent discount for TidBITS members, free update, 5.3 MB, release notes)
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard
- TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 17 June 2013 (17 Jun 13)
- LaunchBar 5.5 (09 Jun 13)