Microsoft Antitrust Victory -- On 16-Jun-95, a federal appeals court ruled that an agreement between Microsoft and the Department of Justice regarding the company's software-licensing practices be approved. (See TidBITS-264.) In an unusual move, U.S. District Judge Stanley Sporkin - who had rejected the agreement in February - was removed from the case and the matter was assigned to another district judge who was ordered to approve the settlement. Microsoft argued that Judge Sporkin was biased against the company; apparently the appeals court agreed, saying he had overstepped his authority. This effectively ends the antitrust action against Microsoft's software licensing policies, and Microsoft officials were pleased with the decision. However, Microsoft may not be entirely out of the antitrust shadow. The Justice Department has been requesting information from both Microsoft and its competitors regarding the upcoming Microsoft Network, and the European Commission announced last week that it's examining whether Microsoft Network would harm competition within the European Union. [GD]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Can't Buy Me Love - Microsoft Antitrust Ruling (20 Feb 95)