Feeling Pushy? PointCast, Inc. and Marimba, Inc. this week released new Mac versions of their much-hyped "push technology" receivers. PointCast's Network (PowerPC only) has been pushed up to version 1.0.1, offering six additional channels including the Wall Street Journal, TechWeb, and the Chicago Tribune. The update also includes a Control Strip module for controlling the Network application from the desktop. Users of version 1.0 should receive the update automatically the next time they connect, and don't need to download the file (3.6 MB for an easy install, 2.6 MB for the smaller installation). Version 1.0 of Marimba's Castanet Tuner (also PowerPC only) allows access to Marimba channels, and is based on Java; the 2.9 MB download includes version 1.0.2 of Apple's Mac OS Runtime for Java, which it requires to run. [JLC]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree