LaserWriter Pro Energy Star Caveat -- Matthew Cravit <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes: "I recently installed the LaserWriter Pro Energy Star software on a LaserWriter Pro 630, which puts the printer into a power saver mode after a certain amount of idle time, reducing power usage by 70 percent according to Apple. After calling Apple about an unrelated matter, I asked about this software, and the representative said that they do not specifically recommend installing it because some users have reported problems with bands of toner forming on the first few pages after the printer wakes up, apparently since the toner is not being rotated during the power saving cycle. This software, by the way, only works with the LaserWriter Pro 610 and 630." [When I called Apple to confirm this, the tech support guy could not find any specific problems in the database, but he had heard of some unresolved issues. If you experience streaking after your LaserWriter Pro has been asleep, stop using the Energy Star software. Otherwise, use it to save energy and money. -Adam]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software