Personal Web Sharing -- Though it's been somewhat overlooked in recent hoopla regarding Apple and Claris, Apple recently released Personal Web Sharing 1.5, an update to the small-footprint Web server that ships as part of Mac OS 8. Personal Web Sharing 1.5 adds support for aliases, HTTP file uploading, automatic binhexing of downloaded files, and a Personal Web Sharing control strip module. The release also adds some features to the Web Sharing control panel, including the ability to set the server's port number, keep an activity log, and directly configure CGIs and (importantly) MIME types. These new features are aimed more at savvy Web users than casual Internet users, but I've found Apple's Personal Web Sharing to be a surprisingly robust and reliable little server, and the new capabilities are welcome additions. Personal Web Sharing requires Mac OS 8; the download is 1.5 MB. [GD]
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard