This week, Allegiant Technologies confirmed months of rumor by publicly announcing it is seeking a buyer for its well-regarded multimedia authoring program SuperCard. (See "Surprised by SuperCard" in TidBITS-369.) Allegiant recently updated SuperCard to version 3.0.3 for compatibility with Mac OS 8, and currently plans to sell and support SuperCard until a buyer is found (in fact, they've extended $69.95 holiday pricing for SuperCard 3.0 through February). Allegiant is also seeking a new home for its Flamethrower CGI engine and the scriptable Internet protocol engine Marionet, and recently spun SoundMaker back to its original publisher, MicroMat. Although Allegiant had been developing a Windows version of SuperCard, the product has faced strong competition from the popular (and cross-platform) Macromedia Director, and Allegiant's recently-introduced Internet products have had to compete with well-established (and often free) products such as UserLand Frontier.
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Surprised by SuperCard (10 Mar 97)